1. Don't keep your Social Security Card on you - memorize your number. And only give out the last four digits, if they are all that's necessary. This should be for a purpose which you initiate... no one should call you and ask for the numbers.
2. Keep your personal information to yourself... like when the sweet girl behind the counter asks if the store may have your phone number. Did you know that you can say, "No, thank you, we don't share it." You can. And they simply say "OK," and type in something like XXX-XXX-XXXX.
3. Don't ever respond to what is clearly spam, even if it looks tempting.
4. Shred old documents with your personal information on them.
5. Check your credit, at least annually (which you can do for free), so that you know if any one else is using it!
Thanks to www.gizmodo.com for help with this article. : )