Buzzfeed.com has a list of 18 songs that are about celebrities, and some of them might come as a surprise to you. Here are 10 highlights:
1. “Fix You” by Coldplay . . . It was written by Chris Martin for his then-wife Gwyneth Paltrow after her father died.
2. “California Gurls” by Katy Perry . . . It was a response to Jay-Z and Alicia Keys’ song “Empire State of Mind”. She wanted there to be a song to represent California. (As if there aren’t enough songs about California.)
3. “Don’t” by Ed Sheeran . . . It’s about Ellie Goulding cheating on him with Niall Horan from One Direction.
4. “The Warning” by Eminem . . . It’s a clapback at Mariah Carey’s “Obsessed”.
5. “Ms. Jackson” by Outkast . . . It was an apology to Erykah Badu and her mother after Erykah and Andre 3000 broke up.
6. “Wedding Bells” by Nick Jonas . . . It’s about his ex-girlfriend Miley Cyrus’s engagement to Liam Hemsworth. (Now, he could do a follow-up called “Divorce Papers”.)
7. You’ve probably heard this one before, but Kurt Cobain wrote the Nirvana song “Heart-Shaped Box” about Courtney Love and her naughty region.
8. Taylor Swift . . . who’s been known to write about celebrities when they’re ones she used to date . . . wrote “Better Than Revenge” about Camilla Belle dating her ex Joe Jonas.
9. “Madness” by Muse . . . It’s about singer Matt Bellamy’s relationship with Kate Hudson. It was inspired by a fight they had.
10. “Boyfriend” by Ashlee Simpson . . . It was aimed at Lindsay Lohan for accusing Ashlee of stealing her then-boyfriend, Wilmer Valderrama. Oh, the early 2000s.